Ferrari Formula 1 team boss Mattia Binotto says his drivers being “distracted” on COVID-19 protocols is “not great” but that they understand their errors and will “pay more attention”.
The team has received two warnings from governing body the FIA for independent breaches from Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc of F1’s strict Code of Conduct that has been put in place to facilitate the championship starting amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Vettel was pictured conversing with Red Bull’s Christian Horner and Helmut Marko last week, with none in the conversation observing social distancing or wearing face masks.
“Both drivers understood they did something wrong. I’m pretty sure they will pay more attention in the future” :: Mattia Binotto
Leclerc travelled back to his Monaco home between races and was also pictured breaking protocols.
“The instructions are for Charles and Seb [but] the entire team we need to pay attention,” Binotto said when asked what instructions the FIA had given.
“We know how important it is to be here and to race for the entire circus.
“Being distracted on the protocols is not great, we need to be strict.
“So, we need to raise our concentration, our attention.
“I think both drivers understood they did something wrong.
“I’m pretty sure they will pay more attention in the future.”
Per the Code of Conduct, regular COVID testing is mandatory and personnel must also restrict their movement and exposure to other people.
Teams and other groups allowed on-site are operating in ‘bubbles’ that cannot be mixed even when outside the circuit.
Those who flout those rules may be reported to FIA and F1, and risk not being allowed to attend the event.
But the system is working, as the second round of COVID-19 testing among F1 personnel recorded zero positive results across 4566 tests.
It was carried out between July 3 and July 9, covering the Austrian GP weekend itself.