Formula 1 plans to mark the death of Queen Elizabeth II with a minute’s silence at the Italian Grand Prix.
The world’s longest-reigning and most recognisable monarch passed away on Thursday evening, a few hours after it emerged she was under medical supervision at Balmoral Castle.
F1 immediately issued a statement paying tribute to the United Kingdom’s queen of the last 70 years.
“Formula 1 mourns the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II,” said F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali.
“For more than seven decades she dedicated her life to public service with dignity and devotion and inspired so many around the world.
“Formula 1 sends its deepest condolences to the Royal Family and to the people of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth.”
A minute’s silence is planned with all teams participating ahead of Friday’s first practice session. It will take place in the Monza pitlane at 1.50pm local time, 10 minutes before practice begins.
It is likely that another minute’s silence will be held on the grid ahead of Sunday’s race.
Several F1 teams have paid tribute in the aftermath of the queen’s death.
“We are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, an inspiring figure who dedicated her life to public service with integrity and quiet leadership for 70 years,” said Mercedes F1 team boss Toto Wolff.
“The impact she made in the UK and around the world will be felt for generations to come and the values she stood for are the best of all human values: dignity, respect and compassion.
“We send our heartfelt condolences to the Royal Family and the people of the UK and the Commonwealth.”
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner, who was given an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 2013, said: “Very saddened to learn of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.
“Her remarkable reign touched and moved so many; remaining steadfast in her duties as a mother and our monarch to the end.
“I had the honour of meeting Her Majesty a couple of times and she will be remembered by a country and commonwealth whom she served for more than 70 years, devoting herself with unreserved dignity and dedication.
“I would like to take the opportunity to send my deepest condolences to the Royal Family at this time.”
The team at McLaren Racing mourn the sad passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, whilst also remembering her incredible reign. Our thoughts are with The Royal Family and people around the world during this terribly sad time. pic.twitter.com/IqCQKpLVdC
— McLaren (@McLarenF1) September 8, 2022
“On behalf of the entire Aston Martin family, I wish to pay tribute to Her Majesty the Queen,” said Aston Martin chairman Lawrence Stroll.
“We remember the light she shone across the world; the people she brought together; the many lives she touched.
“We remember, too, her sense of duty – an unfailing devotion both to the United Kingdom and to the Commonwealth.
“Hers was a life lived beyond self. United in grief, we remember her great life – long in years and huge in achievement.
“To the royal family, we offer our deepest condolences, as we join the world in our mourning.”
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem described the queen as “undoubtedly one of the most respected heads of state ever to have lived”, adding “motorsport, and especially Formula 1, has its heart in the United Kingdom, and the Royal Family has over the years given great support and patronage to the sport”.
Seven-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton, knighted in December of last year, wrote on Saturday: “I had the incredible honour of being able to spend time with her. It is something I’ll never forget. We talked about our shared love of dogs and she was incredibly generous with her time.
“I know the whole nation and many others around the world will be mourning her loss and my thoughts and prayers are with her family and all those close to her, who have lost a loved one.”
View this post on Instagram